As Winter is on us full force, have you always wondered how to keep your dogs busy at home when they are not at Sleep Rover for daycare? Have you ever wondered how to feed Rover something nutritious when you are in a rush and do not have time to feed them?
NOTE: WITH ALL TOYS & CHEWS, supervision is important. Cleaning each toy after food consumption is recommended. Take away any broken pieces of the toy, although the toys listed below, are safe.
In this blog will be our top 3 toy choices (all available at your Sleep Rover Boutique), and our top 3 easy recipes.
Our 3 choices to keep Rover busy with these delicious recipes are (the 3 are dishwasher safe as well):
Here are some fun recipes to implement with some of our #sleeproverdogboutique toys! Please note, do not not use these recipes if Rover has allergies to the ingredients.
Extend the chase and mental stimulation by making two of them, and hiding them in the home. I love the hide and seek game with my dogs. Just remember where you hide the items, in case Rover does not.
The best ingredients to use for the recipes are ones with no additives. Less additives, preservatives and processing = less tummy upsets.
Take note, as most of these items are perishable - you will need to freeze what you do not use, or put in the fridge for their life span.
Make a few of these in advance, for those busy mornings. Just take it out of the freezer or fridge and off you go. Please note the calorie intake on these treats. These are treats, and not meal supplements.
Sometimes Mornings are Too Rushed
- Plain oatmeal
- Honey (Manuka is a great one for healing qualities)
- Coconut Oil
- Prepare your plain unsweetened oatmeal according to the directions on the bag to yield a cup worth
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil (melted for ease) to hot oatmeal
- Let Cool
- Smash a few berries and 1/4 banana together
- Fill the toy like a lasagna sheet, oatmeal first, berry/banana mixture *repeat*
- Put in your refrigerator and allow it to cool (do not feed dogs hot food ever)
- For an extra challenge – freeze
- For an extra health boost, add Yogurt!
Pawesome Soup TOGO
When you are under the weather and need some comfort food!
- Cooked chicken breast (no skin, bone or seasoning)
- Steamed Broccoli or Cooked Peas
- Steamed Carrots
- Home Made Bone Broth - Check out this Recipe for a Chicken Based one (you can use Beef Bones too!) https://sleeprover.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/home-made-chicken-soup-humans-love-it-dogs-devour-it/
- For extra fun, throw a bully stick right in the middle before freezing, to act as a pupsicle - for that extra chew
- Cut up chicken into small pieces suited for your size of dog
- Add Mashed up Broccoli or Cooked Peas (your choice!) and Carrots
- Stuff chicken mixture into toy
- Fill remaining space with bone broth
- Plop that Bully Stick in the centre if you wish
- Want a boost - try Turmeric Paste in Broth
Yummy For My Tummy
Upset Tummy? Need more Fibre?
- Canned or fresh pumpkin puree
- Rolled Oats (or you can substitute Rover's kibble)
- Natural Peanut Butter (can substitute Yogurt)
- Honey (Manuka Honey noted above is a great health booster)
- Mix 1 cup pumpkin, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1 TSP Cinnamon, 3 TB Honey
- Add Rolled Oats (or kibble) in mixture
- Stuff into toy
- Can be frozen for an extra challenge!
Feel free to share your photo's of Rover enjoying their treat - with the hashtag #sleeproversquad and by tagging us @sleeprover! For the month of February 2017 - mention this Blog and get 25% off the mentioned toys above! While quantities last.
With Love, Joyce