All About Sleep Rover
Caring Staff 24/7
Where Dogs go to Have FUN
Established in 2009 by Joyce Kao, Sleep Rover was born to provide a safe and fun environment for the dogs of Calgary.
The idea was started from a basement home business called Doggiessentials in Marda Loop when Joyce was 20 years old and attending the University of Calgary with her dog JJ and Siefer. Timing wasn't right at that moment and Joyce divulged in other employment opportunities, from working at a Home Builder for 5 years, to a Lawyer firm in Saskatoon, to Real Estate to overnight reception at the Calgary hostel and of course, sushi restaurants.
It wasn't till she met Jimmy - that after they flipped their first home, she was able to pursue her dream again. With their passion for dogs, they wanted a place where dogs can have fun, and relax in a home away from home environment with trustworthy people.
MEET THE FOUNDERS
Every day, I am learning.
Every day, a dog teaches me something. What I do know, is all I want, is the best for the dogs, that come into my life.
First thing is care, then follows understanding and enrichment to insure their joy, happiness and fulfillment.
My goal over the years was to provide a place for ALL BREEDS of dogs to stop breed discrimination. However not least, is spoiling them, through nutritional nourishment in what they eat, comfort, play and experiences.
We have rescued through some amazing rescues and continue to support the rescue community. We also are supportive of reputable breeders and enjoy supporting the community through sport and show.
With that being said - I would like to give a shoutout to all the dogs that have come into my life - to shape my journey on Earth.
- Starting with Casey a German Shepherd and Mikey, our lost Cockapoo - my childhood dogs
- JJ was adopted from the City of Calgary Pound by my parents when I was 16 and started my dog business journey, stemming from dog treats, to dog charms - to my first dog daycare. She is my OG.
- My brother 'Jaguar' a purebred Rottweiler gifted to us by a farmer in Arizona taught me about breed discrimination - and I have been an advocate since
- I started fostering for ARF in my 20's and foster failed Siefer (A Rottie X found on Tsuu T'ina with a frozen tail). From them, we fostered over 10 waves of dogs and finalized our last 3 puppies as we foster failed Mei Mei, to which ARF gifted us.
- Jimmy and I started watching Cesar Millan in Saskatoon and thus came our want to go through a reputable breeder to get our first Amstaff - which was Shogun - and he catapulted the Sleep Rover journey.
- We then started fostering for Heaven Can Wait in 2009 - at home and at Sleep Rover - and to this date, we have fostered almost 200+ dogs through Sleep Rover and HCW, Pound Rescue, AARCS, Underdog Rescue, Rescue Friends & Prairie Pitbull. In those ventures, Jimmy & I foster failed 3 amazing Rottweilers, Riley, Bella and Bourbon.
- In the midst of our rescue journey with our Rotties - we also reached out to reputable breeders for Azumi, Thor, Benjamin and Jack. In these journey's - I learned a lot about the show world and with the French Bulldogs - health and nutrition.
"LIVE your life,
LIKE your DOG"
Meet our team
Shogun & Joyce
Azumi & Jimmy
Overnight Manager (OG)
Karin & Doobie
Front Desk Superstar
The Funny Caregiver/Delivery
Our Caregiver Ski Star
The Smiley Caregiver
The Creative Caregiver
The Sweet Caregiver/Front Desk
The Kind Caregiver
2022 Gold Winner Calgary Community Votes - Kennel
2020 Best in Calgary Dog Daycare
2018 Winner - Best Dog Daycare by Top Choice Awards
2017 - Best Dog Daycare by Metro Voted Customer Service Award 2015 & 2016 Via Calgary Chambers Voted Best Dog Kennel 2016 Avenue Magazine Voted Best Dog Daycare
2016 Metro Magazine Finalists, 2014 Calgary Chambers in Customer Service